Monday, February 1, 2010

"Show Dick Some Respect!"

Oh, how my lips are singing to the news that red is going to be huge for Spring!
I wasn't quite ready to retire the holiday red just yet - but it looks like I can bring it out again soon enough! Makeup master, Dick Page - the amazing head makeup artist for "NINE", tells his tricks for the best red lips! (See link below).

I recently had a friend ask me for advice on picking out a red lipstick for the holidays as she was not sure she could wear it, weary of looking like a hooker with her bold, red lips.

I gave her the confidence, telling her that ANYONE can wear red, just as long as it is right shade for your skin tone and of course remembering to go light on your eye makeup.

One of my favorite looks is the one that Taylor Swift rocks so beautifully with just a neutral shimmery shade and a classic, black winged eyeliner. If you're fair like Taylor (and me!) you want to stick to the blueish tones of red (think ruby reds) and if you're on the darker, olive side you can go with the more orangey reds or even more brick reds.



But my #1 suggestion for trying out a new color such as a bold red, take a trip to the drugstore or other retailer like Walmart or Target first and test out the cheap brands (no pun intended) like NYC or Covergirl. This way if you just can't commit, you've only spent $5 and not $15. Besides, you can always return it without getting a dirty look from the counter girl...

Happy playing!
Xoxo
Jen
www.allure.com
Daily beauty news and product reviews from the editors of Allure.

No comments:

Post a Comment