Saturday, August 29, 2009

So I'm Blogging Now...

Hi everyone! - who ever you may be...
Enough with the procrastination. I'm been putting things like this off for way too long now but now that I'm sitting here writing a blog, I'm at loss for words on how to start this off.

I guess I can start off with a little background info about myself with the hopes that it will entice you to read more and actually start to care about what I say. I hope you do... All I really want is to help women and girls out there who may share some of the concerns or just general interests about what makes us feel good about being women. Beauty.

I'm not a writer, although I do enjoy writing. I may tend to babble a bit, but it's only because I have so much going on in my head and so much to say. It can be overwhelming sometimes as I just don't know where to start - like right now, but I'm going to try to get going here...

For as long as I can remember, I have been beauty obsessed. Before you all get the wrong impression on me, I must say that it is because I am and always have been an artist. I love color, I love to paint and take photographs, I love any imagery that captures beauty and any image that shows beauty. I started off in my grown up life aspiring to be the next Annie Leibovitz because I loved taking portraits and rock & roll photography. I have a degree in Fine Art Photography and I haven't touched any of my cameras since about 2006. Sad. I know... But only if you saw how happy I was when I was shooting. Anyway... I must warn you all now that I'm the queen of tangents...

So, besides my love of photography, I loved, loved, LOVED makeup as a young girl as well. But not because I thought I was pretty - even though my mom and dad would tell me otherwise, I just never saw it or felt it until I was in my early 20's. I was obsessed with watching House of Style with Cindy Crawford when Kevyn Aucoin, Pat McGrath and Carol Shaw would do segments solely for the tips on how to perfect my own makeup skills so that I didn't look like I was wearing makeup. That was and still is my best accomplishment, in a makeup sense... the second best - is my ability to COVER $HIT UP! Ohhh, the home surgeries I would perform on my teenage and twenty something skin... but only I would know what lies beneath!

I was about 11 or 12 when I started wearing mascara because I hated that I didn't have brown, noticeable lashes like the rest of the girls. I would copy makeup looks out of my Seventeen and YM magazines with the hopes that just one boy would like me or I would be for once - the popular girl. But what it actually did was cause them to make fun of me. Ahhh, there's nothing more tormenting then doing something that makes you feel better about yourself and then getting ridiculed for it. Junior High and High School kids are the meanest on the planet. I know. I can relate. I can try to make it better.

I will take you down my road, along the journey that I embark on as I aspire now to be the next Bobbi Brown or Carmindy from TLC's What Not to Wear. I will let you into my head and into my heart as I kick myself and ask - "Why did it take me this long to figure out that I should be and CAN BE a makeup artist???"

Makeup has always been a part of my life. A part of my routine - like brushing your teeth or washing your hair. It was something that was so automatic for me that I never thought of it as something I could BE. It was something I DID. So now, I am being. I've paired my life's training with formal training and I'm just continuing to do what I've always done... Watch every show, read every article, surf the Sephora site almost as religiously as reading the Sunday paper... It's what I DO.

It may sound superficial or even a little self absorbed to be talking about makeup and beauty potions in a time when it's an issue of just being able to put gas in our cars or even needing to for that matter, as so many are without a job right now. But there is something to say about even when things get a little bumpy in life, about the joy of buying a new lipstick or eyeshadow. I know I'm not alone in this. I've seen the pacts of teenage girls in Sephora dipping and sniffing and testing and wowing... And I must say - I'm right beside them.

I hope I'm not too late in the game on this whole blogging thing though... I feel I've waited so long and now I'm playing catch-up and beat the clock with myself as I just celebrated my 30th birthday in May. I know... I know... Thirty is nothing - I have been coming to terms with this. It's just that I feel that I've been doing this since I was 12 and it took me almost 20 years already to figure it all out. I want tomorrow what might take 5 years to build. I think I have about 3 to go at this point. There's that tangent again...

I have always had issues with money - and who hasn't AND doesn't right now? I have always shopped in Target and drugstores for my "staples" - concealer, mascara, moisturizer whatever... and why do we have to be in a recession for women to realize that they don't have to spend $30 on a mascara in Bloomies?

I have seen a lot of articles and daily blurbs about "budget beauty" and saving and blah, blah blah... as we should! I'm sorry, but the way I go through mascara - I can't afford to keep buying my absolute favorite Clinique Lash Doubling every 3 weeks at $19.50 a pop! Free gift or not! Like I said waaaaaay before. I will help you. I have tried so many products on myself simply because I love makeup up so much. Think of me as your personal testing unit without the pink eye... sorry... I know that was pushing it.

I hope this gets read and people will check back with me on more random thoughts with purpose. I have so much to share and so much to relate to. I'm one of you. I'm one of the girls. I will help you and guide you ... and hopefully save you some money and wasted time.
Please stay tuned...
and beautiful.

XOXO
Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment